Friday, January 9, 2009

Who's at Houlihan's?


I don't like to venture outdoors at lunchtime during the cold weather months, but I just had to try one of the newest places that opened recently at 5 Broad Street in Stamford Downtown--Houlihan's. Some of my friends were feeling the same way, so we ventured out.
Normally, I would expect a "chain" restaurant to be the same old, same old, but that is not what I encountered at Houlihan's. It was unexpectedly enjoyable.
The space was nice and open, and new, with lots of windows. We sat at one of the front tables near the door, which I thought would be drafty, but it wasn't. There were a handful of tables occupied with other lunchers, so it wasn't empty, but it wasn't full either. It wasn't loud, or noisy but quiet and comfy. I had one of the "nooner specials": two mini burgers and soup combination. The soup was rather interesting. Chicken Tortilla. Lots of chicken and vegetables, some shredded tortilla, a bit of spicy something, and much to my pleasant surprise--cheese! Cheese is my fav. I thought the soup rocked. The burgers were mini, but didn't disappoint at all. It was just enough food for a quick lunch. One of my fellow diners had veggie pizza and the other had a full size cheddar burger. It was liked by all. M, as I will refer to as one of my friends, had been there before and received a special coupon surprise to open upon her return. M had the waitress open the surprise envelope which revealed that she was the winner of a "mini" dessert! So M ordered a Bourbon apple cobbler something or other. She said it was super sweet, but I think she liked anyway.
It was yummy no-nonsense food, quick and courteous service, and personally, I'd like to go back again sometime soon. You should try it.......

No comments:

Find our Advertisers in the annual Stamford Downtown Directory

2019-2020 GUIDE

Check out these special menus from Stamford Tables

Parking in Stamford Downtown

Stamford Downtown Demographics

Stamford Downtown Signal Box Brochure

Stamford Downtown Event info

Check out our full Calendar for more events - click here
Sign up for email blasts - click here